Thursday, March 31, 2011

I Want to be like Grace Kelley

I have discovered the work of Edith Head via alovelybeing. I am appalled that I did not know about her work earlier because I am enamoured with her classic, elegant and timeless fashions. She was an American costume designer, whose work garnered eight (EIGHT!) Academy Awards- more than any other woman in history. Ginger Rogers, Ingrid Bergman, Bette Davis, Grace Kelley, Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor and Natalie wood are among some of the leading ladies of the forties and fifties that donned her designs. 
This lady was so clearly a trail blazer in her time. She has a unique sense of style that would totally be acceptable today as well. I'm seeing a little bit of Lady Gaga with those glasses and bangs.

Her costume designs for Grace Kelly in Rear Window: So elegantly chic. These recently sold at Christie's Auction for upwards of $12,000.


Looking at these designs makes me wonder: why does everything have to be so casual these days? I long for the return of days where it would be required to wear a suit to work, sheath dresses for casual days and elegant dresses for dinner parties. Le sigh. 

{Edith Head image}
{1, 2, 3, 4}


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think! I <3 comments!