Wednesday, January 4, 2012

DIY Cake Stand

When my niece celebrated her 2nd birthday in October,  I offered to make the cupcakes. Because I'm an overachiever and didn't want the cupcakes to be presented on just any old plate or tray, I decided to whip up a coordinating 3-tier cake stand- Princess themed!  After searching the interwebs, I came up with a pretty solid idea of the mechanics of said stand, and went hunting for supplies.

Here's What You'll Need:

  • 3 cardboard circles (I chose 3 different sizes)
  • 3 cans from your pantry (You'll want a large one for the base, and gradually smaller ones for the upper level tiers)
  • Double sided tape
  • Fabric and/or Construction paper
  • Ribbon
  • Hot glue gun

All of the materials needed for your DIY cake stand. 
I covered the three cans with white scrapbook paper. I secured the edge with double sided tape.
Then, I covered the foil circles with my fabric. I used double-sided tape to stick it down, with some hot glue around the edges. Then, I trimmed the excess fabric off the edges, and hot glued ribbon around the sides.
The bottom tier covered with fabric.
The top tier covered with fabric. 
After you cover the cans with paper and the cardboard circles with the fabric, align the cans in the centre of the cardboard. You'll want to apply a generous amount of hot glue to the inside lip of the can, and then apply more around the outer edge. Press firmly into the cardboard. I let mine sit for a long time before flipping them right side up. 



Once the glue was dried, I applied crown stickers I found at the Dollar store to the can. 
When you're all done, centre the cans on top of each other. Make sure it's stable! As long as you place the cans in the centre, you shouldn't have any problem with it toppling over. If you're worried though, you could put a circle of hot glue around the base of each tier as well. 


And here she be, ready with the cupcakes and all. They were a huge hit, and my niece had a fabulous birthday! 

Next time you have an event, why not make a DIY cake stand? It's a little more work, but it's totally customizable to your theme, and the cake stand will be one of a kind and sure to impress.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think! I <3 comments!